Don't get too excited...this is not a permission slip to go out and eat all the dark chocolate you want! However, when you do treat yourself to a sweet treat, dark chocolate is a great choice. With dark chocolate, you will not only be getting a fix for that sweet tooth, but you can feel better knowing that it actually provides benefits to your health. Who knew all of that was packed in a pretty wrapper!
Good things come in three's for those who eat dark chocolate!
- Makes you smile! Okay, so it won't literally turn a frown upside down but it does turn on the production of endorphins that makes your brain create feelings of joy. That coupled with the serotonin found within dark chocolate will leave you feeling closer to fine.
- Good for the ticker! Who would have thought that dark chocolate benefits your heart? Well, it is actually the flavonoids in the chocolate that do this. Flavonoids are good for keeping your blood pressure and bad cholesterol levels (LDL) in check, as well as protecting your cells from those pesky free radicals. The amazing flavonoids can help prevent those free radicals from causing cell damage that may ultimately lead to heart disease.
- Your best face forward! That candy bar is m akin you glow and it's more than likely those wonderful flavonoids. They have been shown to improve the skin's hydration and complexion.
Wait, the benefits don't stop there! Now you know eating dark chocolate has health benefits, but it also does your complexion good when slathered on. Since the days of Cleopatra, people have been making masks out of dark chocolate to help hydrate and make their skin appear smoother. The antioxidants in the dark chocolate may be the key. But don't take my word for it - give this recipe a try!
Dark Chocolate Mask
2 bars of dark chocolate
2/3 cup of milk
3 tbsp brown sugar
a pinch of sea salt
- Heat dark chocolate over low heat in a double boiler or metal bowl over a sauce pan of water for approximately 3 minutes.
- Mix milk, brown sugar and sea salt in a bowl.
- Remove melted chocolate from heat and add to bowl.
- Let cool.
- Apply to face once mixture cools but before chocolate hardens.
- Leave chocolate mask on your face until it hardens.
- Wash off with warm water and your choice of mild cleanser.
- Follow with moisturizer if desired.